The Apparel Designer will design products such as lifestyle, base layers, mid layers, and technical outerwear. This position will work closely with the Product Development Manager to determine style, material, and color stories based on input from the customer, merchandising, sales, and marketing. Keep abreast of fashion trends and consumer needs and supports the integrity of the lines/brands and the goals of the company. Produces design sketches and tech packs. Reviews all styles for construction, silhouette, fit and trim details.
- Responsible for designing a given number of products per season as well as managing carry- overs for assigned collections.
- Attend trade shows, research global markets review industry publications to stay current with market trends and identify new fabrics and techniques.
- Work with Product Development Manager to develop seasonal color stories and inspiration boards.
- Research and understand the consumer of assigned collections.
- Administers a pro-active role through entire product design process: research, design concept presentation, illustrations, fit and fabric/trim/print direction, development of specification pack, critique of sales samples.
- Follow and design to the product brief. Work with the Tech Team to ensure designs will hit the specific target FOB.
- Creates on-strategy designs within set timelines for multiple seasons.
- Capacity to imagine, capture and express a brand’s ethos through unique product concepts, design and styling.
- Create tech packs with detailed specifications for production.
- Ensures that the product is consistent with market trends as well as business strategy.
- Assists with fit sessions in office and in factory and work with Tech Designer to deliver the garment fit as briefed by the Product Line Manager.
- Drive value-engineering through design process: consolidation of fabrics, zippers, trims, etc.
- Works closely with Materials Manager to select innovative and commercial fabrications to achieve desired functional results.
- Collaborates with Design Director and other team members to achieve ‘state of the art’ opportunities for product innovation.
- Supply accurate/complete Design Packs to the Technical Design team on schedule.
- Partners with the Technical Design team to ensure tech packs are kept up to date, accurate and complete.
- Work with the Technical Design team to review strike offs and samples and make recommendations for corrections.
- Travel as necessary to facilitate the development and sampling process.
- Successfully performs these and other duties as assigned.
- Performs duties consistent with the company’s AAP/EEO goals and policies.
Knowledge & Skills
- BA in Apparel Design or related field of study preferred.
- 2-3 years of professional experience in technical apparel.
- Acutely aware of Snowsports, Lifestyle, and Powersports Industries.
- Understanding of fit and patterning.
- Understanding of technical fabrics.
- Strong eye for color.
- Advanced knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
- Strong illustration skills- possess the ability of communicating a concept thru sketching free hand as well as on the computer.
- A knowledge of printing techniques and understanding of how graphics will translate onto a printable garment is a plus.
- Ability to work with multiple personalities in a diverse, fast paced environment to create a team atmosphere.
- Must have exceptional ability to manage time professionally and execute ideas from initial concept to completion.
- Ability to work under pressure to meet strict deadlines.
- Exceptional knowledge of the actions sports and athletic apparel industry.
- Excellent written and oral communication.
- Ability to work in a team environment or independently
- Meeting Deadlines and Calendar
- Highly organized and good with Time management
- Work well with Team
- Creative problem solving
- Ability to bring a concept to market
- How merchandisable is the assigned product line
- Innovative thinking
- Ability to follow design direction
Working Conditions/Physical Effort
Responsibilities sometimes require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little advanced notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Posted 43 minutes ago